Leaving the Nursing Facility

Many people and their families find themselves asking the question "Can I Really Leave the Nursing Facility?"  The answer to that question could be "YES"!  The Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS), Area Agencies on Aging, Independent Living Centers and Nursing Facilities have partnered in Kansas to help in making the move through two programs.

Community Transition Opportunities (CTO) 

Regardless of whether they are a private pay or Medicaid individuals the CTO program offers information and assistance to nursing facility residents with the goal of helping that person and their family decide if transitioning to the community is an option. Answering the question "Can I leave the Nursing Facility?" may sound impossible and raise doubts, but the process is simple and the staff at the East Central Kansas Area Agency on Aging can answer many of the questions that you have. 

Each nursing facility resident has an assessment (MDS 3.0) administered when admitted to the nursing facility and then again quarterly, yearly, or upon a significant change in condition. Once this assessment is completed and the person has identified an interest in returning to the community they are referred to the Area Agency on Aging (individuals 60+) or the Independent Living Center (individuals under 60). After the referral is made a face to face contact meeting with the individual and their family is made. During this face to face visit, options for care will be discussed. This can include housing options, services options and payment options.  If everyone agrees the resident should move, a case manager will be chosen and the move will proceed.

Money Follows the Person, MFP

This is for Medicaid eligible residents only who have been in the nursing facility for at least 90 days. This program is designed to assist people who qualify by funding them with $2,500 to assist with set up costs for a new place to live. This program also covers service needs such as personal care, housekeeping, medication management, shopping, etc. This program can be a great avenue for helping a loved one move to a less restrictive setting.

Following referral a case manager will be assigned and will help with coordination of the move.

Call (785) 242-7200 or (800) 633-5621 to contact our office regarding these programs.