Developmental Disabilities Reform Act Rights (K.S.A 39)
The Kansas Developmental Disabilities Reform Act guarantees you certain rights once you have been determined eligible for developmental disability services. These rights will be reviewed with you each year to ensure you are aware of and understand them.

YOUR Rights Under the DD Reform Act:

  • - The right to have assistance in accessing the community services of your choice, including the availability of assistance from the CDDO for you      or any entity who wants to become a service provider;

  • - The right to select case management services from your CDDO or any licensed affiliate;

  • - The right to receive services without discrimination as to the severity of the your disability, unless the Secretary of SRS determines you are inappropriate for community services because you currently constitutes a clear and present danger to yourself or to the community;

  • - The right to have services provided in a manner which is responsive to your person- centered support plan, offers opportunities of choice to you, and ensures that all of your rights, including those enumerated in KAR 30-63-22, are observed and protected;

  • - The right to have services for which you are eligible continue as long as state or federal funding support continues, and to transfer the level of state and federal financial support if you move from one service area to another;

  • - The right to receive services for which you need, for which you are eligible, and for which you have applied, from a community service provider able to provide the service, within 60 days after funding is secured, or to be reported to the Secretary of SRS as waiting for that service when funding is unavailable;

  • - The right to access the CDDO’s dispute resolution process, including internal and external appeal avenues, to resolve any dispute with the CDDO any affiliate, or any other component of the community service system;

  • - The right to have information regarding the CDDO’s local Council of Community Members;

  • - The right to have information regarding the CDDO’s local quality assurance practices and Quality Assurance Committee

  • - The right to have information regarding the availability of a consumer self-advocacy group.


Self-advocacy is standing up for what you want in your life. Here are some of the groups in Kansas that can help you to take a stand for you.

Self-Advocate Coalition of Kansas (SACK)
(SACK) is a statewide advocacy group made up of adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities, the majority of whom receive services through the Kansas Developmental Disabilities Service System. SACK encourages and teaches people to speak up for themselves and to obtain the highest possible level of independence.

Contact information:

2518 Ridge Ct #236
Lawrence, KS 66046

Families Together
Families Together is a state-wide, non-profit organization serving families in Kansas with a son or daughter with a disability. It is dedicated to a society that includes and values all people, encourages, educates, and empowers families that include a child/youth with disabilities. There are two regions that cover our three counties of Coffey, Osage and Franklin (see bolded counties).

Region One
Kansas City Parent Center
Phones: (913) 287-1970 V/TTY; (877) 499-5369 V/TTY
Counties served are Allen, Anderson, Bourbon, Cherokee, Crawford, Coffey, Johnson, Labette, Leavenworth, Linn, Miami, Montgomery, Neosho, Woodson, and Wyandotte.

Region Two
Topeka Parent Center
Phones: (785) 233-4777; V/TTY (800) 264-6343 V/TTY
Counties served are Atchison, Brown, Chase, Clay, Cloud, Dickinson, Doniphan, Douglas, Ellsworth, Franklin, Geary, Jackson, Jefferson, Jewell, Lincoln, Lyon, Marshall, Mitchell, Morris, Nemaha, Osage, Ottawa, Pottawatomie, Republic, Riley, Saline, Shawnee, Wabaunsee, and Washington.

Big Tent Coalition
The Big Tent Coalition is an association of organizations and individual advocates who believe in enhancing choices for home and community-
based services for disabled and elderly Kansans through: Elimination of all HCBS waiting lists and expansion of community capacity, Funding increases for these vital services, High-quality services, supports and staff

Contact: www.bigtentcoalition.org

Disability Rights Center of Kansas
The Disability Rights Center of Kansas (DRC), is a public interest legal advocacy agency empowered by federal law to advocate for the civil and legal rights of Kansans with disabilities. DRC is the Official Protection and Advocacy System for Kansas and is a part of the national network of federally mandated and funded protection and advocacy systems. As such, DRC advocates for the rights of Kansans with disabilities under state or federal laws (ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, Federal Medicaid Act, Kansas Act Against Discrimination, etc.)

Contact Information:

635 SW Harrison St., Ste 100
Topeka, KS 66603-3726
Topeka voice: 785-273-9661
Toll free Voice: 1-877-776-1541
Toll free TDD: 1-877-335-3725
Fax: 785-273-9414

Centers for Independent Living (CILs)
The purpose of independent living is to maximize the leadership, empowerment, independence and productivity of individuals with disabilities, and
to augment their integration and full inclusion into the mainstream of society. This mission is carried out through a statewide network of 10 Centers for Independent Living (CILs). CILs are not residential facilities. Instead they offer the following core services: information and referral, individual and systems advocacy, peer support, independent living skills training and services to support deinstitutionalization. The two CILs that cover our CDDO area are: RCIL (Osage and Coffey counties) and Independence, Inc. (Franklin county).

Independence, Inc.
2001 Haskell
Lawrence, KS 66044
Phone: 785-841-0333
TTY/TDD: 785-841-1046
Fax: 785-841-1094

Resource Center for Independent Living (RCIL)
1137 Laing
Osage City, KS 66523
Phone: 785-528-3105
Toll-free: 800-580-7245
TTY/TDD: 785-528-3106
Fax: 785-528-3665

Rights and Self Advocacy